Looking for healthy food solutions that may be the answer to helping you lose weight now? Then you’re in the right place!
HEALTHY food solutions
If you’re looking for healthy food solutions so you can continue enjoying food while improving your eating habits and overall health, you’ve come to the right place.
You may also be wondering why am I dieting and exercising and not losing weight? Lucky for you I’ve compiled a pretty impressive list of substitutions that will not only add pleasure to your palate but also help take weight off your waistline!
I’ve included some great tips from myfoodstory below:
If you want chocolate, enjoy DARK CHOCOLATE
- Healthier option than milk or white chocolate
If you want ice cream, enjoy FROZEN YOGURT or FROZEN GRAPES
- Lower in fat & sugar. Plus, yogurt contains probiotics.
If you want beer, enjoy SPIRITS or WINE
- Both spirits and wine have less calories than beer
Replace butter or mayo with AVOCADO
- On toast or sandwiches
- In your baked goods, keep half of the butter that’s called for in your recipe, while switching the other half of the butter for the healthier fats in avocados
Replace noodles with ZOODLES or SPAGHETTI SQUASH
- In a stir-fry or soup
- Top them with sauces and gravies
- Zoodles are zucchini noodles, but cucumbers, carrots, beetroots and sweet potatoes can be used to make healthy noodles as well
Replace sodas with FLAVORED WATERS
- Flavor with fresh fruits or purchase pre-flavored waters available as sparkling and still
Replace sugar with DATES or HONEY
- The substitution of DATES works especially well in smoothies
- To substitute HONEY for sugar in baked goods: substitute honey for the sugar called for (cup for cup) – reduce the amount of liquid in recipe by 1/4 cup for every cup of honey used to substitute for sugar – add 1/2 teaspoon baking soda for every cup of honey used to substitute for sugar – bake at a temperature of 25 degrees lower than the instructions call for
Replace potatoes, rice and pizza dough with CAULIFLOWER
- As Potatoes: Pureed in dishes like cauliflower mash and cauliflower soup, the taste and texture are similar to potatoes
- As Rice: “Riced” in both the frozen and fresh vegetable section of your grocery store or prepare at home with a food processor
- As Pizza dough: Crumbled – Check out this recipe from Recipe Girl.
Replace bottled salad dressings for HOMEMADE SALAD DRESSINGS
- Easier & much healthier: try whisking together balsamic vinegar and olive oil for a quick and delicious homemade dressing
Replace potato chips for POPCORN
- Fun to make and delicious to make; lots of different seasonings to add guilt free
- Try sprinkling yeast on popcorn instead of cheese
Replace dry bread crumbs with ALMONDS, ROLLED OATS or CRUSHED BRAN CEREAL
Replace butter, margarine, shortening or oil in baked goods with APPLESAUCE or PRUNE PUREE for 1/2 of the butter, oil or shortening called for
Replace cream with FAT-FREE HALF-AND-HALF, EVAPORATED MILK or PUREED POTATOES
Replace full fat cream cheese with FAT-FREE or LOW- FAT CREAM CHEESE or NEUFCHATEL CHEESE
Replace eggs with TWO EGG WHITES or 1/4 EGG SUBSTITUTE for each whole egg
Replace all purpose flour with WHOLE-WHEAT FLOUR for half the flour called for in baked goods
Replace full-fat ground beef with EXTRA-LEAN or LEAN GROUND BEEF, GROUND CHICKEN BREAST or GROUND TURKEY BREAST
Replace full fat mayonnaise with LOW-FAT or FAT-FREE MAYONNAISE or GREEK YOGURT in tuna, chicken or egg salad
Replace half of the meat called for in casseroles, soups and stews with VEGETABLES
Replace white rice with BROWN RICE, WILD RICE, BULGUR WHEAT or PEARL BARLEY
Replace seasoning salts (garlic, celery or onion) with HERB-ONLY SEASONINGS like; garlic powder, celery seed or onion flakes
Replace full-fat sour cream with LOW-FAT or FAT-FREE SOUR CREAM or PLAIN FAT-FREE or LOW-FAT YOGURT, especially GREEK YOGURT – try using for dips
Replace meat in chili with GRAINS
Replace tortillas with LETTUCE in wraps, tacos, Asian cuisine and more
Replace flour with BLACK BEANS in brownies. Check out the recipe here.
Other items that come in low fat, fat free, low/reduced sodium or whole wheat options: pasta, milk, mayonnaise, canned meat, fish, vegetables and soups
Here are the things on the list I can personally attest as solid substitutions:
- I’ve substituted applesauce for oil for years in baking – my suggestion is to keep half the oil and sub half of it out with applesauce.
- I occasionally purchase ground turkey instead of beef, but after reading this article, I’ll be doing it more often.
- I have recently substituted Greek yogurt for in a casserole, and no one tasted the difference.
- I prefer honey over sugar and often use in hot tea and add to my English muffins.
- I enjoy carbonated flavored waters.
- I love popcorn – BOOM CHICK A POP is my fav.
- I eat avocados as often as I can on salads, with eggs, breads, Mexican foods and more.
- Riced cauliflower is a go-to side dish in our home. I typically buy the frozen kind, pop them in the microwave, add butter, salt and pepper – voila!
- I’ve frozen Grapes for decades. They make a tasty treat during summer days at the pool, beach or even just an afternoon snack.
- We have this great frozen yogurt place nearby that my daughter loves. We go there from time-to-time, and I couldn’t be happier about not eating ice-cream when I’m there. 🙂
- I am not a huge beer drinker. I do love white wine at home and cosmos when I’m out. Alcohol intake does need to be monitored if weight loss is a goal. Consider mixing a clear spirit with a calorie free soda water and a squeeze of lime.
- I’ve just have zoodles one time, and they were quite yummy. The problem I found is that I was hungry just a couple hours after eating them with a meaty marinara sauce on top. I think I need to give it another chance. I do appreciate food that keeps me full.
I will be trying almonds or crushed bran cereal in the place of breadcrumbs. I am also cautiously optimistic about the black bean brownies. I am excited to try a cauliflower crust pizza and perfecting a delicious homemade salad dressing. I hope you found a few ideas that piqued your interest as well.
Join our Tribe
Become part of our tribe by signing up for our weekly emails below.
As a welcome gift, you’ll receive our “At-Home Fitness Checklist”
Don’t miss out! Join us today!