Fall is here, and that means delicious warms soups are in the lineup for our dinner menu. This flavorful Weight Watchers Italian Vegetable Soup is very filling and can be easily changed to your liking by adding the vegetables you want!
Weight Watchers Italian Veggie Soup
Fall and winter are my favorite seasons because of soup! I really enjoy making soup for dinner, and my family likes all the different varieties. It’s easy, fast, and filling!
It’s also a great way to use up veggies in the fridge that need to be used up before going bad.
There really is nothing like a warm cup of soup on a chilly day! No one will believe you when you tell them that this soup is light in calories because the flavor is anything but light.
Italian Veggie Soup
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups butternut squash, peeled, seeded & chopped into one-inch pieces
- 3 cups golden zucchini, chopped or spiralized
- 1 can corn, drained
- 1 tsp dried oregano or Italian seasoning
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces) petite diced tomatoes, drained
- 3 cans (14 ounces) fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) Great Northern beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 bunch Swiss chard leaves, cleaned & chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- parmesan cheese, grated, for topping
How to Make Italian Veggie Soup
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onion and saute for about 2 minutes, or until softened and translucent.
- Add the oregano and minced garlic and saute for another minute.
- Stir in the cubed squash and zucchini along with the corn, and continue to saute for few more minutes until all of the veggies begin to get tender. Remove from heat.
- In a blender, put oregano, 1 can of tomatoes, drained, and 1 can of chicken broth. Blend until smooth.
- Pour the blended mixture in the pot with the sauted vegetables and return the pot to medium-high heat.
- Stir in another can of tomatoes, drained, and 2 cans of chicken broth. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add the can of drained and rinsed Great Northern beans and chopped Swiss chard leaves to the pot. Lower heat to a simmer and continue to stir until the Swiss chard leaves start to wilt. This usually takes about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the salt and pepper.
- Serve soup with a sprinkle of shredded parmesan.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
Can I make this soup in the Crockpot?
You can make this soup in the slow cooker, you would just need to saute the onion and garlic. Add all the ingredients into the slow cooker except for the Swiss chard and parmesan cheese. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3 hours. Add the Swiss chard at the end and let set for about 5 minutes, until a bit wilted.
Can I freeze this soup?
Yes! Freezing soup is really easy. I like to put my soup in a gallon-sized freezer bag, seat it, and then put it in a plastic container to keep it from getting punctured in the freezer.
To reheat soup after freezing, simply put the frozen soup in a slow cooker on low and let it heat through or heat it on the stove.
Can I substitute different vegetables?
The wonderful thing about soup is that it is simple to adjust. If you prefer acorn squash to butternut, that’s perfectly fine! Do you want to add green beans or peas? I love putting carrots and kale in soup too. Go ahead! The possibilities are endless.
How can I add more flavor?
Adding some Italian seasoning or fresh herbs will always kick things up a notch. You can try fresh oregano, basil, thyme, rosemary, and more! If you are looking to add a little spicy kick, red pepper flakes or a few sprinkles of cayenne should do the trick.
Don’t be afraid to add your favorite spices to make this soup to your preferences!
How to Calculate Points for Weight Watchers
For Purple and Blue Weight Watchers programs, they are each 1 point per serving. For the Green Weight Watchers Smartpoints is 3 points.
If you try this recipe and like it, please tell us in the comments!
BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THESE OTHER GREAT WEIGHT WATCHERS RECIPES
- WEIGHT WATCHERS ZERO POINT CHICKEN TACO SOUP
- WEIGHT WATCHERS BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
- WEIGHT WATCHERS PANCAKES